Almondy Celebrates 10 Year Milestone
Swedish bakery, Almondy is celebrating ten years of serving the UK foodservice sector with its delicious gluten-free cakes.
The bakery which launched here in 2005, now boasts the UK’s largest range of gluten-free frozen cakes, and – with 1.6million portions sold every year – has become Almondy’s most successful out-of-home market, globally.
Carving out a loyal following in the UK over the past ten years, Almondy’s story goes back much further. More than 30 years in fact when two young Swedish men, named Kent and Lennart, started baking tarts using a pizza oven to fund a long-held ambition to sail around the world. Stumbling across a secret Swedish recipe for an irresistibly good almond cake which dated back to 1890, the pair put their plans on hold as the people of Sweden increasingly developed an appetite for the unique Almondy taste.
From humble beginnings, Almondy now produces over 70,000 cakes per day at its state of the art bakery in Sweden – the equivalent of 15 million a year – and exports to 46 countries globally.
“Ten years is a huge milestone for us and in that time Almondy has grown beyond our expectations. We secured our first listing with Bidvest Foodservice in 2007 and from there it has really taken off with Almondy now stocked by Brakes, as well as many others wholesalers which has helped extend our reach to restaurants, cafes, bakeries and pubs across the UK.
“The secret to Almondy’s success is not just its unique flavours and innovative toppings, but also the fact that is has come to signify quality and become a brand that caterers and consumers trust. Couple this with the fact that Almondy’s desserts are made without using flour, which means they are gluten-free, is a huge selling point too. Kent and Lennart were clearly ahead of their time when developing these cakes as today we all know gluten-free has become an important and lucrative market!”
With a passion for baking and a focus on innovation, Almondy’s dedicated foodservice range still retains that unique recipe Kent and Lennart discovered 33 years ago. By combining the classic almond tart with exclusive toppings that include superbrands Cadbury and Philadelphia and confectionery favourites, Toblerone and Daim has earned Almondy an army of fans.
Andrew adds: “We’ve moved on from just one dessert to offering five today and we will continue to innovate, introducing new flavours and developing partnerships with brands that share our passion and vision for quality. For me, the really special thing about reaching this milestone is that, although Almondy has moved forward, the passion for high quality baking and that secret almond base recipe have remained.”
Almondy is marking its 10 year anniversary with a series of mini infographics detailing the company’s unique history and success.
Ten top facts about Almondy
- It started with a pizza oven in 1982, after 10 million cakes sold Almondy is celebrating its 10th anniversary here in the UK.
- Almondy’s famous almond base is a secret Swedish recipe dating back to the 1890s discovered by its founders Kent and Lennart.
- All of Almondy’s cake are baked in Gothenburg, Sweden.
- Today Almondy has the UK’s largest gluten-free frozen cakes range and the UK is its biggest out-of-home market.
- Almondy bakes 15 million cakes every year, and they’re enjoyed by 100 million people around the world.
- Almondy’s cakes are eaten in 46 countries including Mexico and Libya.
- You’ll find a chocolate waterfall in the bakery which coats the cakes in chocolate.
- 300,000 hens provide the eggs to make Almondy’s cakes.
- Almondy uses 400 tonnes of almonds every year to make its cake bases.
- Almondy’s Daim cake is its best-selling cake in every market, worldwide.
To find out more about Almondy please call 01604 858 522 or visit www.almondy.com/en