We have had a few queries asking for clarity around what the requirements are for importing and exporting samples of products of animal origin (POAO) – whether that be for trade shows or for research and development or for diagnostic purposes.
To confirm, trade samples, research and diagnostic samples, and display items are covered by animal by-products legislation. Such samples and items can be imported into GB from third countries if the appropriate procedures are followed. These procedures are set out in the following Importer Information Notes, issued by the Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA):
Import conditions for Trade Samples from Third Countries:
Import Information Note (IIN) ABP/8B http://apha.defra.gov.uk/documents/bip/iin/abp-8b.pdf
Import of Research and Diagnostic Samples from Third Countries:
Import Information Note (IIN) ABP/30 http://apha.defra.gov.uk/documents/bip/iin/abp-30.pdf
Import of Display Items from Third Countries:
Import Information Note (IIN) ABP/29: http://apha.defra.gov.uk/documents/bip/iin/abp-29.pdf
Guidance on exporting such products to or through the EU/NI can be found here: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5f68c8cee90e077f603512e1/8312_NFG_November_2020_v2.pdf
Information on how to apply for the Animal By Products Export Health Certificate (cert 8312) can be found here
The following definitions are in Annex I of Regulation (EU) No 142/2011 :
- ‘research and diagnostic samples’ means animal by-products and derived products intended for the following purposes: examination in the context of diagnostic activities or analysis for the promotion of progress in science and technology, in the context of educational or research activities.
- ‘trade samples’ means animal by-products or derived products intended for particular studies or analyses with a view to carrying out a production process or developing feeding stuffs or other derived products, including testing of machinery, for use in an establishment or plant which is:
- producing feeding stuffs, or products for uses other than food and feed; or
- processing animal by-products or derived products.
- ‘display item’ means animal by-products or derived products intended for exhibitions or artistic activities.
Note: importers are reminded that consignments of research and diagnostic samples or trade samples cannot be for commercial resale.
For further information regarding import requirements, contact the Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA) Imports team on Imports@apha.gov.uk or telephone: 03000 200 301