Dec 21st, 2020
4 mins

Transporting goods between Great Britain and the EU from 1 January 2021: guidance for hauliers and commercial drivers

Guidance for haulage companies and commercial drivers moving goods between Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales) and the European Union has been released by the Government.

With or without a free trade agreement we will be leaving the customs union and single market. Customs declarations will need to be made and hauliers will be expected to carry the right documents to get across the border.

This guidance is for hauliers and commercial drivers who move goods between Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales) and the European Union (EU). It tells you what you will need to do from 1 January 2021.

Every vehicle will need:

• A driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC)
• Passport
• An Operator Licence and UK Licence for the Community
• A driving licence, and potentially an International Driving Permit for some EU countries

On Thursday 10 December, the EU published a proposed temporary contingency measure which would, if a Free Trade Agreement (FTA) is not concluded, allow UK hauliers to continue to perform some journeys to and from the EU without the need for any permits. If approved, the Commission’s proposal allows UK hauliers the right to perform journeys to and from destinations in the EU for 6 months – until 30 June.

It would also allow UK hauliers to transit the Republic of Ireland on journeys to and from Northern Ireland, but it would not provide transit to third countries, cabotage or cross-trade. All hauliers who applied for ECMT permits for 2021 have received a response and have until 23 December to decide whether they wish to take those permits up.

There will be separate guidance on moving goods between Great Britain and Northern Ireland. 

There also the ‘Check an HGV is Ready’ service. It will help you check whether you have the right documents to cross the border. It will be compulsory for any HGV using the crossing in Kent – and using the service will give drivers a valid Kent Access Permit (KAP).

See related articles:


Dec 9th, 2021
2 mins

Fareshare and Frozen

Nov 1st, 2021
3 mins

Lumina Intelligence give cautious optimism with menu counts increasing season-on-season in the latest BFFF industry webinar

Sep 22nd, 2021
1 min


Sep 16th, 2021
1 min


Aug 19th, 2021
1 min

The Future of Imports Recording

Jul 22nd, 2021
1 min

Integrating Social Value into your business recording

May 20th, 2021
1 min