DAWN TEAMS UP WITH CALIFORNIA RAISINS FOR FOURTH NATIONAL AMERICAN SWEET BAKERY WEEK
California Raisins joins forces with Dawn once again for the fourth year of Dawn Foods’ popular National American Sweet Bakery Week.
Taking place from 1 – 7 July 2017, Dawn is encouraging bakers to get involved with the week once again by baking mouth-watering goodies inspired by our friends across the pond and sharing their images and posts online. The week is an initiative to help high street bakers build sales of American style bakery products.
Bakers are encouraged to join in the conversations on social media by following @DawnFoodsUK on Twitter and liking the Dawn Foods UK Facebook page using the hashtag #NASBW17.
National American Sweet Bakery Week forms part of Dawn’s Authentic American Bakery Campaign, an initiative especially for high street bakers. As part of the campaign, Dawn has teamed up with food sensory expert Professor Charles Spence from Oxford University who is sharing his insights in ‘Sweet Bakeology’ that explore the senses and look at how we connect with food, flavour and tastes. The week marks a great sales opportunity for bakers to theme their retail bakeries and drive sales with American style products such as tray bakes, cookies and muffins.
Gearing up for the States-inspired seven days, Dawn has developed a range of American themed recipes – think Toffee Popcorn Muffins, Maple Bacon Donuts, Patriotic Bundt Cakes, USA Loaf Cakes, Dipped Red, White & Blue Strawberry topped Brownies and many, many more. Plus, some joint recipes with California Raisins too.
Dawn offers an assortment of recipes to help bakers kick start NASBW, and more recipes will be added over the next few months including an on-trend 4th July themed Ombre Cake, so bakers should check back regularly. Those who register can receive exclusive National American Sweet Bakery Week packs with handy tools and tips to help Americanise outlets and celebrate this 4th July.
Jacqui Passmore, Marketing Manager UK and Ireland for Dawn Foods, says:
“We are delighted to be partnering with California Raisins again for the 2017 National American Sweet Bakery Week. Dawn has seen the event go from strength to strength each year and with our vast range of innovative American themed recipes, we are proud to be supporting bakers in developing their sales and growing their bakery businesses through a dedicated themed week. The feedback from last year was very positive, with bakers reporting remarkable sales increases during the awareness week.
“We hope that as many high-street bakers will take part this year as in previous years, to really maximise the opportunity and provide consumers with the popular all-American sweet bakery items that they cherish.”
Warings Bakery, The London Bread and Cake Company and Peter’s Homemade Bakery were just some of the high-street bakeries that registered and got involved with the initiative in 2016. On joining in the initiative this year, Kim Cowley of Warings Bakery said:
“We look forward to participating once again this NASBW, bringing back customer favourites such as Funfetti Cake & Oreo Cupcakes and dreaming up fun new ways to introduce flavours of the USA into our 2017 range. Last year’s promotion was well received on our social media channels and we hope to do more this year with video content and exclusive online promotions.
“Building on last year’s success, we’ll be continuing our theme of using classic American flavours, as well as featuring iconic brands that our customers know and love to add authenticity and will look for inspiration from the new trends emerging from across the pond!
“We will be adding a splash of colour once again and our shops will be adorned with red, white & blue bunting, banners, flags and memorabilia, and staff will get into the spirit dressing up on the 4th July.”
For all the latest American-style recipes, please visit http://dawnbakery.co.uk/authentic-recipes/. New recipes will be added each month to provide inspiration for bakers and to support them in creating the best in scrumptious offerings.
The senses are important for driving bakery sales and food sensory expert Professor Charles Spence from Oxford University shares his ideas on the importance of targeting consumers’ senses through monthly insight reports posted on www.dawnbakery.co.uk. These insights can help bakers achieve a successful National American Sweet Bakery Week:
- Dress your bakeries with American theming. Visual cues are important in terms of setting flavour expectations, after all we nearly always look at the foods that we are about to eat first.
- Entice customers with freshly-baked aromas; as much as 75-95% of what we think we taste actually comes from our sense of smell.
- Temperature, texture, and mouthfeel, all constitute a key part of the enjoyment associated with eating, and optimum freshness means better enjoyment.
- Temperature affects our perception of food and drink in many ways. Cold temperature suppresses our ability to taste. The temperature of food in the hand is also important. Holding something warm, like a warm muffin or pastry, has been shown to make those around us seem warmer too.
- Comfort foods are the simple, traditional foods that remind us of childhood, and they are about providing an emotional boost. Comfort foods are especially good at alleviating loneliness. Think carefully about the name you give your sweet bakery treats. Play on the nostalgia angle, with descriptions like “grandma’s”, “traditional”, “simple”, and “homely”, or give it a twist for NASBW by relating back to a place, for example – Chicago Toffee Popcorn Muffins.
For further details on National American Sweet Bakery Week and to register for your free pack with helpful tools and tips to make the most of the occasion, visit: www.dawnbakery.co.uk