Heading up the development team you will be responsible for all aspects of product development including management of specific high profile Accounts – which could include UK retail, foodservice and wholesale accounts To include Brand & Own label products.
You will also be responsible for managing and maintaining the NPD process from Concept through to chef handover, factory trials to launch, benchmarking, recipe construction, product re-development, costing and Value engineering.
This role will require flexibility in approach, ranging from NPD production trials, customer visits, research and gap analysis, being up to date with current and future trends and ingredients, compiling customer powerpoint presentations, store visits, and directional shopping, you may also be required on occasion to make up samples and head up meetings and presentations to clients. You will work closely with various departments within the business including sales, accounts, technical, engineering, purchasing and operations/production.
Hours of Work:
40 hours per week, but you may be required to work over and above to achieve the desired results, including attending ‘out-of-hours’ production trials and attending customer events / functions / entertaining.
Key accountabilities and responsibilities
- Ensuring that products being developed comply with Customer Brand Standards.
- NPD process – ensuring adherence to the process for each product that is developed, and that it follows the critical paths.
- Management of the critical paths
- Ensure products are costed accurately and in a timely manner and can be fully replicated in the factory at the agreed cost.
- You will need to be competent in Excel.
- Management of NPD briefs ensuring timelines are met.
- Product benchmarking.
- New raw material sourcing- support the NPD Chef/ Purchasing Manager in obtaining raw materials for each development, advising on allergens, nutritional values, suitability for process, etc.
- Manage NPD Chefs/Process Manager to ensure all sample requests are completed on time and ensure product quality is to the highest standards in line with QAS Standards where applicable.
- Customer support /liaison – keep the customer informed of progress throughout the development; have all correct paperwork completed within the NPD Process to catalogue communication.
- NPD specification writing for customers
Working relationships and key contacts:
Technical Services, General Manager, Factory Manager, Line leaders, Packaging & Purchasing, Costing Accountant, Technical Department, Account Managers & Directors, and NPD Chefs.
- NPD Process – supporting the implementation of the NPD process, managing product through the gate system to launch
- NPD meetings – giving the business an overview of current development projects.
- Customer relationships – managing expectation / communication follow up from reviews and sample submission
- Customer visits – trials, preproduction runs, and support operations teams on 1st production runs.
- Assist with transition of product development from kitchen to factory.
- Chef support – product technical support, customer presentations.
- Support Commercial Director/Business Development Manager/Process Manager
- To ensure the safety, quality and legality of products manufactured is maintained.