Speciality Breads Announces New £3 Million Bakery and Living Wage for All Employees
Flying the flag for British ingredients and manufacturing, Red Tractor-certified Speciality Breads is continuing its astronomical rise after announcing the launch of a new £3 million state-of-the-art bakery facility and the immediate introduction of the National Living Wage for all its employees.
The home-grown success story provides a wide range of premium, freshly-frozen breads to Wholesalers, who in turn supply restaurants, pubs, cafés and hotels throughout the UK.
Since starring at the London Olympics in 2012, the company has seen consecutive year on year growth of over 30% and its turnover is now nearing the £6 million mark.
The grand opening of the new site and ribbon cutting ceremony will take place on Wednesday, 11th November at 1.30pm and will be attended by MP for North Thanet – Sir Roger Gale.
The New Bakery
- The new 3,000 square metre site is situated on Westwood Industrial Estate in Margate, just down the road from the company’s current bakery.
- It will produce around 20 handmade lines, while providing essential extra cold storage, work space and ovens for the team’s artisan bakers.
- The investment includes 5 additional freezers, 3 ovens and state of the art packing line with Robotics which together will allow for a four – fold increase in the company’s production capacity.
Investing in People
- The company has created over 25 new jobs 2015 alone with the workforce growing by 30% in anticipation of the increased production capabilities.
- The launch of the new site will be a double celebration for Speciality Breads’ employees after the company became one of the first to introduce the government’s National Living Wage six months ahead of legislative requirements
- Pay increase came into effect in the team’s September wages, well ahead of the April 2016 deadline.
- ALL Speciality Breads’ employees qualify for the National Living Wage, not just those over 25.
MD Peter Millen explains how the new facility is the final piece of the puzzle to ensure the company has everything it needs to continue to move forward:
“The company has gone from strength to strength since we made a big splash at the Olympics with our high quality breads now used by leading bars, pubs, cafes, restaurants, hotels and caterers. With the UK foodservice sector as vibrant and diverse as it is and interest in our breads going through the roof, this new site was vital for us in order to keep up with demand and continue to grow. It’s been a hard but exciting last few years, so the whole team is looking forward to the big launch. Without them none of this is possible, so we are delighted to be able introduce the National Living Wage ahead of time to show our thanks and ensure we retain our skilled staff and grow together.”
Established in 1996, Speciality Breads provides an ever-growing, premium selection of over 100 frozen breads, which are hand-made by the company’s master bakers using Red Tractor certified British flour. Based in Margate and distributing its products via a UK-wide network of wholesalers, Speciality Breads’ frozen range is the perfect solution for the foodservice sector.
Providing the finest quality, bakery-fresh bread day in day out, the products can be stored easily and only need to be defrosted an hour before they are required – thus also helping to alleviate waste. The company’s Brioche and Ciabatta ranges recently gained the much-sought after “Approved Product” endorsement from the Craft Guild of Chefs.
For further information or to stock Speciality Breads range, contact 01843 209442 or visit www.specialitybreads.co.uk