The Association of Convenience stores (ACS) has launched a comprehensive guide for retailers to help them untangle the complexity of upcoming regulations restricting high fat, salt, sugar (HFSS) products in stores.
The new Assured Advice guide on HFSS regulations, which are coming into force in October this year, covers everything retailers need to know on the key areas of the regulations, including:
- How to work out whether your store will be in scope of the regulations
- Which areas of the store you can exclude when calculating your relevant floor space
- Which categories of products are affected
- Which promotions are restricted
- How the location restrictions work, and who is included within them
- How to work out the restricted area at the entrance of the store
- Which other areas around the store are subject to location restrictions (e.g. around the tills)
Retailers with stores are over 2000 sq ft and businesses with over 50 employees will be required to follow the new regulations.
ACS chief executive James Lowman said: “The introduction of HFSS regulations marks one of the biggest operational changes in the grocery retail sector in living memory, so it is absolutely crucial that retailers know what they will have to do ahead of October. Our guidance provides important clarity for retailers dealing with the complexity of the regulations, and provides a blueprint for stores to start work now on how they’re going to adapt their businesses in the coming months.”
“We are disappointed that DHSC have yet to issue their guidance on the regulations. But with only 8 months to go convenience retailers needs clarity to begin making the necessary investments to refit their stores and train their store colleagues.”
The guide can be downloaded here.