As part of the membership at the BFFF, members have access to a library of webinars covering a whole range of topics, which is updated monthly. This month Lumina Intelligence come in to present their latest findings around innovation in operator menus and what impact this will have on BFFF members.
Lumina Intelligence is part of the William Group and specialises in market and consumer insight across the entire UK food and drink market. Its consumer and shopper data platform combines advanced analytics and insight to explain every measure of behavior, from planning and conducting a shop to choosing where to eat and drink across retail and hospitality markets.
In this monthly webinar, Lumina Intelligence shares the latest insights from its Menu Tracker tool, which monitors and tracks menus in the pub, restaurant, and fast food markets, providing insight into dish count, pricing, tagging, cuisine, and ingredient trends from the operator menus.
Leading the Lumina Intelligence presentation was Ed Sibley, Commercial Director at Lumina Intelligence and he was joined by Katherine Prowse, Senior Insight Manager at Lumina Intelligence to help with the Q/A section at the end of the webinar and covered the following key points:
Dish Count Analysis
- Cautious optimism with menu counts increasing season-on-season.
- Menu sizes remain considerably smaller than pre-pandemic.
- Operators prioritise main dishes, with starters and desserts still streamlined.
- Same-line dish price inflation increases year on year.
- One in three same-line dishes sees price increases in Spring/Summer 2021.
- Side dishes see the largest percentage of price inflation.
New Dish/Product Development
- New product development levels remain below the peak of 2019.
- Customisation allows operators to cater to varying consumer needs.
- Provenance, plant-based, and premium dishes are a focus.