Whilst the results have a caveat about how representative they are, due to under-representation of small/micro companies, the data does show a really dire situation within the sector.
- 82% report reduced staff numbers versus February 2020.
- 21% had been unsuccessful in obtaining support through Additional Restrictions Grant (ARC).
- 67% of those supplying Northern Ireland see issues with the re-opening of Hospitality as lockdown eases.
- 82% report excess stocks accumulated since January this year.
- 82% are talking to customers about taking short-life stock.
It maybe that the recent announcement of the additional fund of £1.5 billion through the Business Rates Relief Fund will support not only the Wholesaler sector but their many suppliers whose income had also been affected.
We also hope that Defra will find a way to support business supplying Northern Ireland that are not registered on the Authorised Trader List.
For those wholesalers discussing with customers about taking short life stock they may find our guidance on extending the shelf life of frozen food useful, please follow this link for a copy of the guidance.6+